Tuesday, January 31, 2012

lazy bachelor's cookbook - roasted spicy mayo chicken

In case you can't tell, I like to cook with chicken. Chicken tastes good and it's not as bad for you as beef. Here's a recipe that I found online. It sounded interesting (mayo. cayenne paper. celery seeds?) so I decided to throw it together tonight and see how it tasted.

Recipe
4 chicken breasts
1/2 cup mayo
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp celery seeds
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 pinch cayenne
zest from 2 lemons

Preheat oven to 425. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.

Whisk all the ingredients together. Slather on chicken. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 20-25 minutes or until juices run clear when chicken is pricked with a fork.

Simple, huh? Even I could make this dish without too much trouble.

Just pulled it out of the oven. It's not much too look at but the true test is taste. I'll update you later if it passes the yum factor.

Verdict: Not bad. It was spicy enough to make me hiccup, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I threw in a lot more than a pinch of cayenne, though. Next time I might invest in a basting brush and apply the spicy mayo to both sides of the chicken evenly. This time I used a butter knife to spread the spicy mayo only on one side. It produced a creamy layer of spice on top of the chicken. A coating on both sides might kick it up a notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment