Thursday, February 16, 2012

a post that isn't about music

One thing that I haven't discussed yet is my mad love for Mass Effect. Bioware has done a bang up job with the series so far. The final installment, Mass Effect 3, is ready to launch in less than 3 weeks. I couldn't be anticipating a game more.

I set aside playing Mass Effect 2 for awhile. Wanted to get through other games in the library and then Xbox Live games like Bastion, Orcs Must Die, and recently The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile had caught my attention. With Mass Effect 3 dropping so soon, I'm devoting my free hours (the few I have in law school) to finishing up Mass Effect 2.

I don't know about you, but I'm a firm fan of femShep. My Mass Effect character was a femShep and I've continued her career in Mass Effect 2. I play her as a Paragon, tough but fair on her allies and only soft with Liara T'soni. I've become invested in her personality and her story. I'm glad the demo and some of the promotional materials will highlight femShep as a viable story path. She's a solid female character.

Some might argue that she's just a clone of the male Shepard career path. That's probably true. And that's what makes her such a compelling female character. Her sex organs don't dictate her horizons. She can be the tough as nails, ass kicking soldier (mine is) instead of some female stereotype. She wears the same armor as male Shepard, carries the same guns, and earns the same respect and reactions.

Currently, facebook is running a Mass Effect 3 contest. You can earn all kinds of cool stuff, including avatar gear, for participating. The most recent goal is to hit a certain number of downloads of the demo in order to unlock a special ME3 avatar shirt. So be a pal and download the demo on XBLA.

In an upcoming post, I'll preview some of the features coming to ME3 that I'm most excited for.

Pre-order Mass Effect 3 now and receive a special item, the M55 Argus Assault Rifle, and a $10 Amazon gift card.

While you wait for my next installment, read this article arguing the Mass Effect universe is the most important sci-fi universe ever. Does that mean MMO?

No comments:

Post a Comment